Thursday, October 14, 2021

Spooktober 14: Faust (1926)

 




F.W. Murnau's FAUST had it's German premiere 95 years ago today. The film is pure bliss visually whether you are a horror film fan or no. But as a horror film, it is is feast of both true terror, with stomach dropping visuals, and laugh out loud comedy. Murnau's best known to horror fans as the director of Nosferatu, and best known to film fanatics for his director of Sunrise--the first film to win a Best Picture Oscar. But this film is as meticulously made and shot as Sunrise; and as scary as Nosferatu. It is, hands down, my favorite Emil Jannings performance; and the Moulin Rogue's Yvette Guilbert is such a treat to watch. The films runs almost two hours, but truly it does not feel nearly that long...one simply gets lost. Happy 95th Faust! 👺👺

 













1 comment:

  1. Fine post and GIFs! I need to see this one! I feel I haven’t seen “Faust”, but a part of me thinks I did! I love Jannings and Murnau, so I better make it a point to watch it this month!

    ReplyDelete